Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blog #3 Determining a Research Topic

After going over all of the possibilities I could expand my mind and learn more about, there was one form of essay that really struck my attention. Not only does it interests me in the sense that there are so many documents and resources that can contribute to the topic, but it will be one of the more challenging topics since I am not considered an "artsy, humanities" driven individual. The idea for this research paper is going beyond the 'Two Cultures,' of course implying science/technology and humanism/art. The additional primary source that will heavily contribute to the research paper is Denis Dutton's The Art instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution. I find that this non-fiction book in particular might have information exceeding a "hue" that will help me in getting readers to understand that there is a strong connection between the two cultures.

As I have started mildly entering myself into the art community, I have noticed in some artists’ pieces such as Salvador Dali that although in the early 20th century, there are some astoundingly futuristic ideas that complement the ideas of science and advancement. In art history, may lay the secrets of science and to me this does not mean literally, but figuratively. Learning how to decipher art and the break-down of details can open huge windows of the emotional history of that time period. What I look forward to reap with this assignment is to really produce something brilliant with the challenging task at hand and understand for myself where the merge in the two cultures lies and when did it come together. Overall, instead of focusing on actual paintings, I will be discussing Darwinian adaptation theories and how the ideas can be applied to humanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment