Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Are You a Science or Humanities Person (or Both)?



My name is Amanda J.C. Ramkissoon and I am currently a Math and Sciences major at LaGuardia Community College. My main goal is to attain an Associate’s Degree in Science by the end of this current semester and graduate in June 2012. My educational career plans beyond that is to start my Bachelor’s Degree in Science, specifically Biology at the City University of New York and also enter the University’s Physician’s Assistant degree program. Going beyond that, I intend on entering medical school if once my GPA is competitive enough to specialize in Dermatology.

As peculiar as it sounds, based on my journey throughout LaGuardiaCC and the courses that I have taken, I find that I would be beyond a “science person” and would have to consider myself as both, or at least potentially. Both humanities and science have positive attributes to society and although it is a bit difficult at this point for me to connect them as completely in sync topics, I know they are both the leading and most enriching focuses of study. There are many positive and negative things majors of the opposing studies could draw, but in the end, one must be able to take the information learned, utilize it and apply it to the present/ future for the benefit of societies.

Science is generally a topic that I would accept as most viable because of the never ending facts and computed studies/ information that it attains. Technology advances every day that aids the new studies and findings scientist use to prove theories. The downside however with science and technology, more specifically industrialization, are the harmful components produced that cause harm to the ecosystem.

With humanities however, individuals can enrich themselves by taking a look into history and thinking critically to note the pattern in communities, the arts, finances, politics, etc. With this information, if a pattern is noted, studies can be able to show both what happened before and if it will happen again based on what is taking place now. The negative side that science/technology people would counterattack is that humanities may not be as concrete and may be on the liberal, literary and creative aspect. Numbers and graphic data is what is the most appreciative source for science/ technology people.

The fine line jointing the two together in my educated opinion would have to be that with the historical data that was attained through the humanities field, science and technology individuals can use a critical mind to create the data charts, patterns and find a conclusion based on their hypothesis to find a solution whatever the issue studied may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment